Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Guardian

Last night my cousin asked me to be the guardian of his three girls if something happens to his wife and him. To which I responded "absolutely" without hesitation. I want nothing more than for my family to be together. To be asked is such an honor. I should have probably asked my husband his thoughts first though, huh?? ;)

But it got me thinking...what if I didn't have awesome, healthy parents? Who would we choose? My parents are the official/unofficial guardians of my kids. But if I had to choose someone our age...who would it be? Family is an obvious choice. I would like to say my brother, but he has little to no experience with kids. My husband's sister and brother...um, not so much. Then I thought of three people. However, two are out of town and I would want the kids to live here and grow up here. And the one that lives here is tops on my list of the three for practical and family reasons.

One of those people is not family though. It's my best friend. Which is weird for me because I hold family in such high regard...but she is my family. She is my "unbiological sister". And really...wouldn't you want your kids raised by someone very much like you? We are so similar, it's scary sometimes.

I think if I had to appoint other guardians than my parents, I would go with the in town family choice first....but with two stipulations...that they go to Catholic school through high school and that they see my unbiological sister at least once a year, if not more.

No comments:

Post a Comment